Other Options

Your local animal clinic

If you are not in a rush, it can be possible to adopt a lovely pet through your vet clinic, by letting your vet and the techs know that you would be willing to adopt a (insert breed / size / age ) dog or cat.

The real advantage to this is that the clinic could offer a medical history, especially if the pet has been a lifetime client.    Some of the loveliest pets can find themselves in need of a new home for a wide variety of reasons that have nothing to do with the pet.    Owners can have to go into care, get divorced, find themselves out of a job and even can pass away.

Animal Control

If there is one constant in Nova Scotia, it is that there is no constant when it comes to Animal Control.   Each county / municipality makes different arrangements that can range from having a pound to contracted services.

In Halifax,  Homeward Bound City Pound currently has the AC sheltering contract.    Please CLICK HERE to go to their website

In Halifax County

  • Animal Services 490-4000
  • Homeward Bound City Pound at 407-7283
  • SPCA 468-7877
  • Metro Animal Emergency Clinic – (902)-468-0674
  • Halifax Regional Police Non-Emergency Line – 490-5020


Hants County

  • Animal Services –
    • West Hants: Dog Control Officer: Quinn Church at 790-6367 or email: QChurch@westhants.ca
    • East Hants: By Law Enforcement and Dog Control Officer: Jessica Trites at 1-902-883-7098 ext. 207 or email: jtrites@easthants.ca
  • Hants Branch SPCA – (902) 757-2000

In Kings County, the Kings County Branch of the Nova Scotia SPCA has been awarded the animal control contract.    Please CLICK HERE  to go to the shelter website.

Annapolis County has their own pound.   Please CLICK HERE to go to the County Facebook page, where pictures are posted of impounded animals.

In Digby,  please contact Scott at Digby Dog Control at 902-245-5885 or contact the TLC Animal Shelter at 902-245-2303.

In Yarmouth, Animal Services at 742-3147 (within the Municipality of the District of Yarmouth, Municipality of the District of Argyle, and the Town of Yarmouth)

  • Yarmouth Branch SPCA: 742-9767 to report a lost dog
  • Municipality of Barrington Animal Impound Facility: 742-9767 or Argyle: 648-2623

Shelburne County:

  • Municipality of Shelburne: 875-1496
  • Municipality of Barrington: 637-2015
  • Pet Projects, Shelburne B0T 1W0 – 902-875-2367

Queens County

  • Animal Services: Special Constable Kelley-Anne Hurley – 354-3453
  • Queen’s SPCA – 350-2444

Lunenburg County

  • Animal Services: Lunenburg – 543-2022, Bridegewater – 527-0063
  • Municipality of Chester: Animal Control Officer by calling (902) 277-0017
  • Lunenburg County SPCA – 543-2334
  • S.H.A.I.D. Shelter – 543-4849

Guysborough County

  • Animal Control Officer: Rachael Smith: 870-0324 to report a lost dog.
  • RCMP: 533-3801

Antigonish County

  • Animal Services 863-2351 ext 237 or Municipal: 863-1117 to report a lost dog. (John Pellerine & Shawn Smith are the AC officers for the town of Antigonish
  • Dog Control Officer for Antigonish County can be reached at 870-3128.
  • SPCA: 863-2111

Richmond County

  • Animal Services: 631-2015
  • RCMP Detachments: Arichat – 226-2533, St. Peter’s 535-2002, Port Hawkesbury – 625-2220 and the Municipality of Richmond County – 226-2400
  • Animal By-Law Officer at 227 5896

Cape Breton County

Animal Services: Cape Breton SPCA : 539-7722 to report a lost dog. CBSPCA has the Animal Control contract – after hours you will be connected to an emergency line.

Victoria County

Animal Services: South Victoria – (902) 295-0532, North Victoria – (902) 285-4123

Inverness County

  • Town of Port Hawkesbury Policing Services Animal Control: 625-3315
  • Dog Control Officer: 787-2274

Pictou County

  • Animal Services: Stellarton – 752-6160, Municipality of Pictou – 485-8640 Westville – 396-1500 (Office will contact Officer)
  • Pictou SPCA: 396-3595 on Facebook
  • New Glasgow Police: 755-8353

Colchester County

  • Animal Services: 897-3175 .
  • Colchester Branch SPCA: Truro: Shelter: 902-893-7968 to .
  • Millbrook By-Law Officer: Dennis at 899-5240

Cumberland County

  • Animal Services: 597-8737 to report a lost dog.
  • Lillian Allbon Animal Shelter: 661-7297 to report a lost dog.

A special note about the free online ad sites

Should you be wondering why I have not included the free online ad sites in this page, it is simply that in that wild west unregulated world it really and truly is Buyer Beware. Reputable Rescues and Breeders will make every effort to ensure that each pet is going to the best possible home … whereas the curbside guarantee on Kijiji and Craigs List leaves no protection for the purchaser :(

That being said, there is as of this writing a partnership between Kjijii and Petfinder so that adoptable pets on Petfinder are also advertised on Kjiji, in either the dogs or cats for sale section.

Leave a Reply